About Me

I am currently three years into a PhD in the field of Education for Environmental Sustainability. My research explores the effects of whole-school education for sustainability on the attitudes, behaviour and environmental knowledge of upper-primary school children and their families. I have an honours degree in Marine Science and after graduating in 2006 I worked as the Marine Programs Officer and Lead Guide for a Perth based marine education program. I also have extensive volunteer experience working with youth in various environmental, social and spiritual empowerment programs, especially within the Bahá’í community and with Millennium Kids. These work and volunteer roles have deepened my belief in the positive potential of young people who are informed and empowered to act for environmental issues they care about, and supported and encouraged by their community to do so. After completing my PhD I hope to work in the area of environmental program development, evaluation and refinement with the aim of becoming a consultant.

Monday, August 2, 2010

It's not easy being green...

Like many people, I have a list of 'green' behaviours that I'm working on, one of which has been to start composting veggie waste. So, about a month ago I started my first ever attempt at composting at home. Hooray!

However, it wasn't as easy as I'd hoped... From the beginning I started doing a few important things wrong. I went to a course on composting last year, how could this happen?! Well, I guess having never made the common mistakes myself those important lessons went right over my head.

Firstly, for about two weeks I made sure I was watering the compost every few days. For some reason I honestly thought compost had to be really wet! That is, until it became too sludgy to mix. I was a little confused for a while but after a few moments reflection on my second year microbiology unit the principles of aerobic and anaerobic microbial decomposition started coming back to me... hmmm... no, compost doesn't need to be soaking wet all the time, if it's too wet the whole thing will turn anoxic, whoops! lol. Okay, now I remember, compost actually needs to be dry enough and turned regularly to provide enough oxygen for the microorganisms to do their jobs properly, whilst also being damp enough for the water to be released as steam once the microorganisms start generating heat through all their hard work. I was on track now, or so I thought.

Pretty soon the veggie waste was getting near to the top of my little bin and too difficult to turn with the stick I'd been using so I decided to buy a special compost turning tool from Bunnings. It's a tool that literally winds down into the compost (just like a corkscrew only larger) and with one pull brings all that is down at the bottom up to the top. Vwallah! What a brilliant invention! In only one go I found that some of the waste from our last batch of carrot juice (made four weeks ago) was still in large clumps down at the bottom of the pile, still bright orange and not at all composted. Using a stick to mix it definitely hadn't been good enough. I was in business now! For sure my compost was going to get cranking from here!

And so i continued to be optimistic about my little compost bin until yesterday morning, when I opened the bathroom window for fresh air but all I got was fresh stench! Piieeew! What was wrong now? Compost isn't meant to smell bad... Uh oh... This time I went outside to find a few flies buzzing around the little bin and more bad smells. I was stumped. I'd been doing everything right; mixing thoroughly, not over watering, putting dirt and dried leaves (carbon) in between each layer of veggie waste (nitrogen). I'd even dug the bin 5cm into the ground like the guy at the course suggested in order to avoid bugs or vermin getting into it. Why was it smelly and what could I do to de-smell it? Hmmm... After a quick call to Dad, who's been composting for years, we figured it out. There still wasn't enough oxygen exchange. You see, in my stinginess I didn't buy a proper compost bin, with only two of us in the house and so little veggie waste we didn't need a large expensive compost bin. So instead I bought a tall 20L bucket with a secure lid and simply cut the bottom off.  $8.50 versus $100 plus, brilliant! Well, it could have been more brilliant if I'd thought to drill holes in the sides of the bin before I got started... Instead I've learnt the hard way and currently have rotting veggies instead of compost. lol.

But it's not over yet, I'm determined to succeed. The thought of reducing our household's contribution to methane, created from anaerobic decomposition of organic matter in rubbish dumps, and the added bonus of revitalising our sandy nutrient poor soil for zero dollars is more than enough incentive to keep at this composting thing. Then there's also that little matter of social norms, I can't just say I believe in living sustainably... 

So just like Kermit very poignantly said, "it's not easy being green", but I reckon it sure is worth it :)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Zarin,I liked hearing about you composting as an ex-composter.Very unsuccessful - we ended up digging the veggie waste straight into the garden soil mostly.Our compost was so dry that it provided the perfect home for a mouse to raise her babies. You really deserve an A for effort. I am sure that you will get it right with the composting bin or some holes in your plastic bin. At least you have enough warmth in Perth to get it all going. Compost sits around in the same state for months in Hobart. How about trying a worm farm instead? Let the worms do the work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zarin this is an awesome, funny, quirky and insightful article. Best of luck with your PhD!

    Much love,
    Farnaz

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great Zar! An enjoyable AND educational read. I love the Kermit quote :)

    xx

    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Cousin,

    Your insight and humour will come in very handy as I too begin my composting journey. I will be giggling as I turn my compost pile, thinking of you lovingly wetting yours- and I will know not to do this now. Thankyou for sharing.

    I am also beginning a worm farm, so any experience you wish to share about tending to the little critters will be much appreciated. I have 1000 worms arriving today. I have never hosted such a large party!

    I am in the process of readying the garden for planting vegetables. After a long day of digging and feelings of not getting very far, a friend suggested trying a no dig garden. This involves laying layers of newspaper, straw and compost in a raised bed. In order to save my back and time I should be devoting to study, I think this will be the way forward. In the short 10 days since we moved to Healesville and I decided to start a veggie patch I am already learning a lot.

    I look forward to sharing our forays into becoming more green. We will make Grandad proud!

    Your site looks beautiful and it is fascinating reading.

    Lots of Love,

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! You'll be glad to hear that my compost isn't so smelly and seems to be aerated enough for the time being. I still have to drill those holes, and perhaps even upsize to a larger bin (Dad's recent suggestion). Apparently larger is better so that the compost can get hot more quickly.

    Hannah, thank you for sharing news of your new endeavours. Congratulations! And yay for the Healesville country air! Sounds like it's giving you some great inspiration :)
    Raised beds are a good idea to save back bending but depending what you make them out of can be costly. If you can get your hands on scrap things like old wheelbarrows or metal drums cut in-half longways, and you've got the room in your garden to prop them up, then go for it! :)
    I can't wait to hear how you go!
    Love heaps!
    Zar

    ReplyDelete