About Me

I am currently three years into a PhD in the field of Education for Environmental Sustainability. My research explores the effects of whole-school education for sustainability on the attitudes, behaviour and environmental knowledge of upper-primary school children and their families. I have an honours degree in Marine Science and after graduating in 2006 I worked as the Marine Programs Officer and Lead Guide for a Perth based marine education program. I also have extensive volunteer experience working with youth in various environmental, social and spiritual empowerment programs, especially within the Bahá’í community and with Millennium Kids. These work and volunteer roles have deepened my belief in the positive potential of young people who are informed and empowered to act for environmental issues they care about, and supported and encouraged by their community to do so. After completing my PhD I hope to work in the area of environmental program development, evaluation and refinement with the aim of becoming a consultant.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Hot and Dry, a gardening recipe for disaster?

A lot of heat and no rain certainly can be a recipe for disaster in any garden, but as a gardener you've gotta be resilient and plan a little... My hubby and I bought our own home in late 2009 and since then I've taken a great liking to the garden. Although at the moment with this ridiculously dry heat in Perth it's really difficult for my plants to grow let alone for me to get outside and do much with them. All I end up doing is sweating like crazy and trying not to get sunburnt. Oh well... a casual trip to the beach or a quick shower always do the trick ;) But we've recently discovered the benefits of compost -a natural water saving wonder! A few months ago I set up a 240L compost bin, which although we don't add that much veggie waste to is already helping improve the water retention capacity of the very sandy soils we have here in our garden :) 


This might sound funny but I've also enjoyed learning about pests and diseases since I started in the garden. Some of you might remember I had a batch of tomatoes last year? Well they all got struck with powdery mildew so I had to cull them *sad face*. But after that I planted out some capsicum seeds, literally from my cooking offcuts, and now I've got three rows of thriving young capsicums plants! And with the mildew experience under my belt I learned that we should only water our crop in the mornings so that water doesn't sit on the leaves over night. However, we often only find time (and motivation) to water them in the cool of the night, so I'm  now much more careful not to get water on any leaves... *fingers crossed, no mildew this time*. Capsicums generally like the heat and are deep rooted but we're also making efforts to give them a little extra water from that occasional bath or bucket in the shower, in addition to the compost and mulch of course ;)


Another good water saving tip we've come across is to plant succulents and hardy plants in preference to the delicate ones. Some may say they don't look as pretty but why not spruce them up a bit with some pretty rocks!? They sure don't need no water! Last October when my Mum, Dad and brother came to visit, Mum and I made a little rock garden. It really adds to the courtyard and helps retain some of that precious water too :)
Our rockery (left) and leafy capsicum plantation (right)

1 comment:

  1. Great post Zar! I'm excited about the compost helping to gradually counter the sandiness of the soil. Hooray for bacteria :)

    ReplyDelete