About Me

I am currently three years into a PhD in the field of Education for Environmental Sustainability. My research explores the effects of whole-school education for sustainability on the attitudes, behaviour and environmental knowledge of upper-primary school children and their families. I have an honours degree in Marine Science and after graduating in 2006 I worked as the Marine Programs Officer and Lead Guide for a Perth based marine education program. I also have extensive volunteer experience working with youth in various environmental, social and spiritual empowerment programs, especially within the Bahá’í community and with Millennium Kids. These work and volunteer roles have deepened my belief in the positive potential of young people who are informed and empowered to act for environmental issues they care about, and supported and encouraged by their community to do so. After completing my PhD I hope to work in the area of environmental program development, evaluation and refinement with the aim of becoming a consultant.

Monday, October 31, 2011

Who's attacking who

As tragic as last week's shark attack was (and the one the week before and the other one the month before that...) I don't think we should rush to kill the shark.

I don't think we should be hunting a shark when it was just trying to find food to survive. Firstly, this is the time of year that white pointers follow the humpback whale migration south and try to pick off the sick calves, so we should simply be more cautious in the water between September and November. I moved here 7years ago and noticed this pattern and now I don't dive or swim much around this time of year. Secondly, we should be turning the finger towards ourselves and consider why these pelagic sharks might be more frequently coming closer to shore to find food... We are overfishing their usual food source! Fish stocks are being depleted around the world, what else are these top predators meant to do? 

Don't kill the sharks: reduce the extent of unsustainable commercial fishing by being a conscious shopper and buying fish caught from sustainable fisheries (see the Australian Sustainable Seafood Guide) and be more careful in the water at this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment